The Social Times is a one-of-a-kind resource for school counselors, social workers, SLPs, parents and other professionals working with ANY student grades 3 through 9.
Presented in a full-color magazine format, The Social Times is written directly to students in their “voice.” Each issue offers critical information on social skills and social competence presented in articles that are entertaining and applicable to the lives and concerns of today’s students.
Purchase The Social Times for 2012-2013 and receive:
• Nine issues for the entire school year
• Opportunities for both you AND your students to submit ideas and receive feedback from the editors Kari Dunn Buron and Brenda Smith Myles, PhD
• Online support materials geared to the specific topic of each issue – saves you time and ensures you have relevant resources at your fingertips for effective instruction
• EXTRA BONUS: Bullying prevention tips in each issue!
2012-2013 Topics include:
• Introducing Yourself
• Joining In
• To-Do Lists
• Cyber Bullying
• Rules for Eating
• Tattling vs. Telling
• Telling Jokes
• Asking for Help
Regular Features of Each Issue Include:
• The Main Event: Introduces the main topic of each issue, such as body language, self-regulation, relationships, etc., written in the “voice” of the student.
• Coming to Our Senses: Addresses different sensory experiences.
• I Second That Emotion!: The 5-Point Scale, a system used to concretely define social emotions and behaviors, is used in each issue to break down an emotion or social rule to make it more manageable and easier to understand.
• Cartoon: Includes a different cartoon to serve as the basis for discussion: Why is the cartoon funny? What social rule is being broken? What might the listener be thinking?
• Word Search and Crossword Puzzle: Activities that support the topic of each issue and reinforce literacy skills – reading and spelling.
• Something to Talk About: Editorials by Claire, Winston, or a guest editor introduce social issues for discussion without making it too personal.
• Trivia: Short fun facts involving human or animal behavior interspersed throughout each issue to fascinate students and increase the value of the overall experience.
• Dear Roger: Discusses different situations students regularly face and makes a great springboard for open classroom discussion.
About the Authors:
This publication was created by Kari Dunn Buron, co-author and author of the bestselling The Incredible 5-Point Scale, The 5-Point Scale and Anxiety Curve Poster, When My Worries Get Too Big!, A 5 Is Against the Law, and A “5” Could Make Me Lose Control! and Brenda Smith Myles, PhD, author of Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments, Asperger Syndrome and Adolescence, Starting Points, This is Asperger Syndrome and The Hidden Curriculum.
The Social Times (Vol. 4; 9 issues, 10 copies of each issue) $51.00
The Social Times (Vol. 4; 9 issues, 1 copy of each issue) $15.00