Book Proposal Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in AAPC Publishing – an independent publisher with books and materials for individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and their parents and teachers, as well as therapists and professionals. Our resources focus on evidence-based practices and are aligned with current standards in the field.
AAPC accepts proposals for research-based books on effective strategies and techniques that can be easily implemented in school, clinic and home settings. In addition, we consider books targeted toward individuals with ASD and their allies. The tone and writing style should be “user friendly,” using an active voice, including vignettes and examples where applicable, as well as tables and other illustrations to emphasize and clarify content.
To be considered by the AAPC editorial board, book proposals must consist of the following:
- Cover letter – (a) concept statement of book, (b) statement of how your proposed idea is different from existing products on the topic, (c) intended audience (description and age, if appropriate)
- Table of contents – outline of your book
- Synthesis and approximate length of each chapter
- 1-2 sample chapters or parts of several chapters
- Suggested illustrations (if applicable)
- Author profile – to establish your credibility for writing and selling your book (not applicable if you have worked with us previously).
Include a discussion of how you intend to promote your book. A book’s author can be instrumental in the success of their work by participating in the marketing process. Can you conduct workshops at professional meetings and conferences? Have you led classes or workshops on the topic? What is your background? Have you published other books, articles, or other materials? If so, please tell us.
Please keep in mind that these requirements are requested of all authors, both potential and established.
Submit your proposal electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Allow 3 – 6 months for initial critique.
For further information about AAPC, including a list of recent publications, take a look around our website.